31 July 2016

Courgette chips

As so many other times, when looking for recipes on the internet, I came across this one which seemed really promising and since I had some surplus courgettes, I decided to try them out.

IMG_5046

Ingredients

450 g dark green courgettes with good skin
2 tbsp olive oil
2.35 dl breadcrumbs
1.55 dl grated parmesan
salt and pepper

Method

  1. Wash the courgettes and trim the ends, then slice thinly on a mandolin and place in a large bowl.
  2. Pour over the olive oil, then carefully turn the courgettes until all have some olive oil on them and set aside.
  3. In another bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper.
  4. Line a couple of baking sheets with baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 220 °C.
  5. Dip each courgette slice into the crumb mixture and place on the baking sheet.
  6. Bake in the oven for a few minutes, then take out, flip all slices over and bake for a further few minutes. Keep watch as they burn very easily when thin.

It seems I'd been quite successful in using up all various jars with breadcrumbs, so I had to open a packet of watercrackers and blend. The crumb mixture turned out to be way too much for the courgettes, I've put it in a bag and frozen for another day, though in hindsight, I might use it as a soup thickener or something.

These didn't end up as crispy as I'd expected them and not as cheesy either, which I would have liked. And I burned almost a whole tray of them too, which had to be thrown away.

But the concept was good, I'll just need to work on it a bit. Possibly I need larger proportion of parmesan in the mixture and also more coarsely grated too. Or perhaps mature cheddar or such, which isn't as dry, but might melt in the oven a little.

Finally, rather than turning the courgettes to get coated with the olive oil, I think I might brush them with it instead. Obviously Lundulph sniffed out the parmesan straight away, so didn't try them.

No comments: