29 January 2014

Look-a-like Tabbouleh

Continuing on my challenge from Lundulph to clear out the freezer, tonight it was time for some hot smoked salmon. However, I very pointedly didn't buy potatoes to go with it. Instead I had a vague idea of making a tabbouleh salad, which I've had on a couple of occasions in the past and rather liked it.

IMG_3785

However, I didn't prepare by looking up recipes and making a list of ingredients to buy. Instead I just bought a large bunch of coriander leaves.

Once I got started, I did briefly consult the internet, but stopped when I realised that I needed bulgur wheat for the salad - all I had was pearl barley. Still, the mixture looks like tabbouleh and ended up tasting quite nice and worked really well with the salmon.

Ingredients

350 g (boiled weight) pearl barley
60 g fresh coriander leaves
2 tbsp fresh dill
75 g roasted and peeled red pepper
1 tsp dried mint
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Method

  1. Wash the pearl barley and simmer according to instructions on the packet, about 45 minutes.
  2. In the mean time, wash the coriander leaves and dill and cut finely, then place in a large bowl.
  3. Dice the pepper finely (I recommend using an alligator cutter) and add to the bowl.
  4. When the pearl barley is ready, drain the excess water and rinse under the water tap to cool it down somewhat, then add to the bowl.
  5. Add the mint, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and stir through until everything has mixed well.

It looks like tabbouleh and although it doesn't taste like it, it did taste rather nice. I need to get some fresh mint next time, the dried mint kind of got lost somewhere. I must also point out that the roast peppers I use are from a jar and slightly pickled, though freshly roasted ones should do fine as well I think.

No comments: