16 September 2010

Rhubarb Jam Second Batch

Well I'm not sure what I did right this year, but the rhubarbs sprouted new leaves after I picked them earlier this year. Enough for a second batch of jam.

Looking at my entries before, I didn't write down details on what I did, so will do that now.

Ingredients
750 g trimmed rhubarb stalks
800 g jam sugar
8 g pectin (1 sachet)
2 dl water
1 tsp vanilla essence

1 tbsp lemon juice
20 g unsalted butter
2 tbsp punsch

Method
  1. Place the jars in the oven on just over 100 degrees C.

  2. Wash and dice the rhubarb and place in a large saucepan with a thick bottom.

  3. Add the sugar, pectin, water and vanilla essence and stir round, then heat up on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.

  4. Boil until the rhubarb is soft and starts disintegrating and the setting point is reached, about 15 - 20 minutes.

  5. Add the lemon juice, butter and punsch and stir in well, then remove from the heat.

  6. Distribute into the hot jars, close the lids tightly and allow to cool.


Of course the punsch can be exchanged for a different liqueur or omitted altogether, like in the first batch. I actually used 0.5 dl and it was a bit over-powering, so I've reduced the amount. It's still very tasty though.

No comments: